The importance of having first aid kit at home should never be underestimated. All parents especially mommies know how it feels like when in the middle of the night, their kids tell them they feel ill or when an accident happens. As parents, you should know how to react during those situations. That’s where a first aid kit comes in handy. And it’s important that you should know what to include in your kit for it to be useful in case of emergency.
Here are some essential items that you should have in your first aid kit most especially when you have kids at home.
- Thermometer – this is essential to know kid’s body temperature since most kids experience fever every now and then. Once they do, you should immediately put a cold compress to neutralize the temperature.
- Antibiotic ointment – kids can be very playful and they easily get bruised and wounded when they play around. An antibiotic ointment would be good to make sure that the wound is clean and free from bacterial infection.
- Antiseptic solution – it is very important to clean the wound immediately to avoid any infection.
- Cough medicine – children often suffer from cold and flu. You should have cough medicine ready in your first aid kit in case you start to hear them coughing.
- Sore throat medicine – it is also advisable to include medicines dedicated to curing sore throats, just like Chemmart sore throat medicines, and other related medicines in your kit.
- Bandage – this is helpful in cases of fractures, dislocated muscles or some minor injuries. You need to perform first aid until you can have it checked by a doctor.
- Adhesive tape – this is useful in case you need to cover the wound to prevent bacterial infection.
- Alcohol – alcohol is helpful in general. You can use this to clean the hands most especially if you are outside and have no access to water to wash your hands with. Alcohol can also help sterilize your tools like tweezers, scissors and others that you need to use on wounds or injuries.
- Antihistamine tablets – to avoid allergies and asthma attacks. This is a situation that can be very alarming so make sure you have antihistamine tablets in your kit.
- Anti-repellent lotion –to protect the kids from insect bites especially at night or when outside the house, you need anti-repellent lotion.
It is important that you always check on your first aid kit for the supplies available or no longer available. You should always replenish your stocks especially for items that we included in the list. You do not know when an emergency situation will occur. We sure hope nothing bad will happen especially to the children but sometimes things happen beyond our control. There is nothing that we can do but to prepare through first aid kit so we can attend to the situation immediately to prevent any further damage while waiting for more professional help.
It is advisable to teach adults at home on how to use the kit. It will be great to leave a manual inside the box too. That way, you can feel confident that in case of emergency, someone in the house beside you can attend to it and can use the first aid kit efficiently.